What I have learnt in high school for the past few years is that it you have to stay true to yourself no matter what. It is OK if you loose yourself along the way because as social animals we have the need to belong. I remember I was most true to myself when I didn't have many friends because there were no outside influences dictating my actions. In addition, don't be scared to end friendships because some relationships have an expiry date. A lot of my closest friends are friends that I have made when I was 11 and younger, and can see myself being lifetime friends with them than friends I might have met in the past four years. Also ladies don't feel pressured to get with a boy or to have a boyfriend, sex, whatever. It is honestly no need to rush, just enjoy life and don't use boys as a variable to measure that. What helped me was hanging around people that shared similar interest and didn't care that much about partying and doing those sorts of things.
Lastly with friendships, do not be afraid to be alone it takes time to make friends and you won't make the instantly. Even if you are part of a group and you don't enjoy it as much or you see yourself changing sometimes its good to take the risk and step away. I was part of a group that I knew I didn't belong in but because I was too scared to be alone I just went along with everything. Yes, we did have amazing times, and don't regret anything. However, most of the people I don't really speak to anymore. You can have a whole group of friends but I pretty much ended up with very few people I keep in contact with, or want to keep in contact with.
What is most important to make sure is that you continue to take risks. Whether it is a guy who you might think likes you but are not sure. It is very important no matter what to dive in head first, because I have left with a few regrets and it's better to have done things than wish you have done it.
Another thing High School has taught me is to have more confidence in myself and not put myself down as much. I used to think academic intelligence defined who I am as a person and it honestly doesn't, we are all smart in different ways so don't let other people make you think different.
High School is what you make of it. What you put in is what you get out. I wasn't very genuine to myself and other people therefore left with not many very genuine relationships. Do I regret the decisions I have made, not really, but, having the space from high school gave back my identity and allows me to spend more time with the people have been with me since the beginning.
I learn't to be more open minded when meeting people in the future not expect everyone to be the same after bad experiences. So in my gap year and future endeavours I will keep a positive mind set when meeting new people.
Would I do High School again? Definitely not.

No comments
Post a Comment