Sunday, 24 June 2018

Why Doing a Gap Year Is the Best Decision You Will Ever Make


Why?

During the last two years of high school I really struggled to find motivation to either study, or do something proactive with my life, so I knew going to university straight away would be too soon for me. So in December (2017) my mum told me about this programme called Global Citizen Year that had this opportunity to travel to Ecuador, India, Senegal, or Brazil for 8 months to do some volunteering. So I thought. Why not? I wanted to do a gap year to figure out what I wanted to do, where I wanted to be figuratively and literally. Also, to find out what I really wanted to study without the influence of anybody. 




What?

Over the 8 months in country I lived in Ecuador in cities that are near Cuenca.  For the first four months I worked in a Women's Shelter called Casa Maria Amor working closely with the women and children. Later on I worked at a school ranging from children aged 4-19. I worked as an assistant English teacher to a pretty full on one, and absolutely enjoyed it. I miss the students and teachers every day, and will forever be part of my heart. 



Conclusion

This was such an amazing opportunity to gather more knowledge about South American culture. To gain more experience is forcing myself to speak one language for 8 months I have been able to nearly speak Spanish fluently. I have developed such a deep love for myself that I thought I honestly never deserved. I would recommend this to anyone to take a year off to do something productive before going off to university. It was the best decision I have ever made. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig